Monday, August 17, 2009

33 weeks

So, it's been a busy couple of weeks! On Friday I was able to meet baby Carter who is a CDH survivor. Brad and Kellie (Carter's parents) were really helpful and had some great tips for surviving the NICU and this whole process in general! Thank you so much you guys for taking the time to meet with me and for allowing me to meet Carter and see how absolutely fantastic he is doing! That visit did so much for my spirits! Gene was disappointed he wasn't able to get out of work to meet you, but maybe next time it will work out!

I had a great birthday yesterday! Andrew was kicking up a storm during church! He absolutely loves the music and reminded me by kicking me in the ribs and lungs for about a solid 45 minutes! I guess it will be too early to start music lessons in the NICU though! Gene and I really felt like the message was directed completely at us. I may never understand why God has chosen this path for us and for Andrew, but I was reminded yesterday that in the midst of uncertain times, God is still in control. I pray that ultimately in the end, his plan is to allow Andrew to have a long, healthy and productive life.

So, today we had a growth and development ultrasound again. The big boy is measuring at 5 lbs and 1 oz already! He is in the 64% for size according to one chart they used and 71% according to a different chart- bottom line- we think he's going to be a big boy! Head circumference was measuring at 37 weeks 5 days (>99%)- I'm thinking we are seeing a c-section in our future, but the doctors haven't committed to either way at this point other than to say everything looks structurally normal and they do not think he has any sort of syndrome or hydrocephalus. My amniotic fluid levels are starting to rise some- up to 22cm, but Duke does not consider it polyhydramnios (too much fluid) until it reaches at least 30 cm. So hopefully Andrew will still be able to swallow and digest the fluid and it won't get any higher! Other good news- his liver, gall bladder, kidneys and spleen were all pretty clearly visible and are down in his abdomen where they should be. His stomach and some intestines were still up in his chest. He was taking lots of practice breaths- which is always encouraging for a mom to see! Way to go Andrew!

My blood pressure was borderline high and I was given instructions to check it at work and that I would have to come in and be seen if it gets any higher. Still having a ton a braxton hicks contractions and some real contractions, but they checked my cervix and said it still looks good and we are waiting on the fetal fibronectin results (if these results are negative, it is very likely that I will not deliver in the next two weeks). We are still hoping to make it to 39 weeks! We couldn't be any happier with the care we are receiving at Duke- they are truly a fantastic group of people! Thank you for keeping our family in all of your prayers- it means so much to us to have all of your support going through this! To those of you who left comments, thank you! Gene and I really found them so encouraging! Hope you all have a great week and I'll keep you posted if anything changes!

8 comments:

  1. I hope all goes well for you; will send up a prayer:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool you got to meet baby Carter and his wonderful parents!! I followed their journey in this "cyber-world" and Carter is an inspiration to many. If Andrew enjoys music, plan on playing him music in the NICU (if he doesn't mind the stimulation) for it will do wonders for his healing process. It sounds like he is going to be a big boy, which is good for him to be big and strong and ready for anything. Many prayers for Andrew...keep fighting little guy.

    Hugs, Tracy, mom to Ian, born with a LCDH on 4/3/04

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for the update! You are in our thoughts and prayers every day-please let me know what I can do to help!

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad you got to meet Carter, Brad and Kellie. I feel like they are family. I was prego at the same time Kellie was. Our daughter was born with LCDH at UCSF.
    I will be praying for you and your baby Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just found your blog thanks to my Dad...thanks for sharing the updates...you 3 are in our thoughts/prayers often. Glad to hear little Andrew is growing so well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found your blog from Brad/Kellie/Carter's and wanted to let you know I am thinking about you and your sweet baby Andrew.

    My daughter Claire was born in 2007 with LCDH (stomach and intestines up) and is doing really great today. http://babyclaire07.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Becky, I can only imagine how hard it was to hear that Andrew was going to have some problems. It sounds like they are going to be minimal. I have been following your blog recently and believe that you guys have a real handle on things. Obviously God is with you. I pray that within a year you'll wonder why on earth you were ever so concerned. Praying for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found your blog from Naylei's page and just wanted to let you know that you are in our thoughts and prayers.

    We are also expecting a baby boy with LCDH. I am just ahead of you at 34 weeks and my due date is September 28th.

    ReplyDelete