Thursday, August 20, 2009

NST

So this morning I went in for my 2nd NST (my lst one was last week) and was thinking I would do pretty well. I usually just feel the occasional contraction in the morning and it's not until the afternoon that I really start feeling a bunch of contractions after I've been working. So I was completely taken by surprise when the nurse came in at the end and said do you realize how much uterine activity you're having- WHAAAAAAT?. Not at all what I was expecting! Then she really got more concerned when I told her I only felt the occasional contraction this morning and that it usually is really bad in the afternoons after being on my feet all day. My fetal fibronectin test came back negative from Monday, so that was good news and that's all I knew to tell her. She sent me to ultrasound with a second cup of water to drink and told me I should start taking it a little easier.

After they checked my amniotic fluid levels, Candace (the ultrasound technician) said she was going to show the doctor my pictures and she would be back. This is routine for us after every ultrasound- so again I was thinking not a big deal. My AFI was 21 which has been that way for the last two weeks. When she came back in the room, she said that the doctor wanted to speak with me in a conference room! PANIC!!!!!! Let me also say that Duke has many ultrasound technicians, but this happened to be the same one that did our 17 week ultrasound where we found out Andrew had CDH! And to top it off, I was alone, because I thought these appointments wouldn't be a big deal and told Gene it would be fine if he wanted to go on to work instead! I was frantically text messaging Gene who was trying not to freak out- I told him I would call as soon as I spoke with the doctor. After seeing the look on my face, Candace quickly added that she didn't see any hydrops on the ultrasound. This made me feel a little better, but it seems like there a lot of surprises along this CDH road.

So after all the worry, Dr. Boyd came in and said that I was having a lot of uterine activity and in combination with my increasing blood pressure, it was time to try and reduce my work hours to see if this would help. So big relief in that I was expecting so much worse! Not great that I'm having so much activity, but Andrew seems to be handling it well with his heart rate and movement and if it was really severe, then Dr. Boyd would have put me on bedrest all together. So maybe going to down to 4 hours a day at work won't be so bad. It helps to keep my mind off everything and I really enjoy my job, so I'm hoping the extra time off with not wreak havoc with my mind!

Also, more big news! We have our induction date set! It's still not decided if I will have a c-section or vaginal delivery at this point so they have reserved two different times. September 29th at 2:30pm is when we are to go into the hospital for induction if a vaginal delivery is planned, hoping to deliver on September 30th. If a c-section is planned, then 10:30 am on September 30th! There a lot of different emotions that run through my mind when I think of that day. I'm terrified to let him go, knowing that I will no longer be able to protect him- that is the scariest part for me. At the same time, I am really hoping we can help Andrew kick this thing, and I can't wait to get to meet him and finally start our lives together! Someone at work said something that really helped me- being a parent is a life time of learning to let go. Whether its letting them cross the street by themselves for the first time, their first day of school or taking them to college- a parent's life is filled with moments of letting go and trusting. Obviously this fight for his life is on a whole different scale, but I must learn to let go and trust just the same. For now, living one day at a time and knowing Andrew is safe and happy and kicking like crazy is all I need to know!

5 comments:

  1. I remember NST's- I wasn't a big fan. I know all you do is sit there and relax in this big recliner- but I felt like I was left there with nothing to do and for 30 min! But I can just imagine your fear when they said the doc wants to talk to you- thank goodness it wasn't a bad thing- resting now would be a great idea! haha Once Andrew is born- even tho you don't get to take him home right away- the stress of what he goes thru is going to make resting- not so easy. We are praying for you and Baby Andrew everyday!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear that Andrew is doing well. I have to have those NST's 3 times a week now...I'm always worried, staring at his heart rate and looking to see if I've had any contractions. I've been put on "modified" bedrest and it's good to get the rest but I don't know what to do with myself half the time. I'm so used to working all day and keeping myself busy in the evening with chores, walking the dog, etc. Now it's just reading, sleeping and watching movies all day. Be sure to take it easy as much as possible. I'll keep you and Andrew in my prayers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post brings back so many memories, especially of Dr. Small putting me on bedrest at 31 weeks! Try to take it easy and catch up on reading ~ I'll bring you lots of books if you want me to. Andrew will be here soon and then the marathon begins! :) I'm really getting excited with you being so close to meeting Andrew. Carter says to tell you that he can't wait to have a play date with Andrew.

    We're thinking and praying for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I memories of being in the NST room for 30 minutes to an hour if Nayeli didn't cooperate at times. I usually would take naps. Take lots of them now. We are praying for you and Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad to hear that little Andrew is doing ok! My husband and I pray for you all the time. The NST's are a little bit boring. lol. You must be very excited to know when he is coming, it makes planning things a little bit easier. Y'all are going to be such great parents for him!

    ReplyDelete