Monday, September 21, 2009

38 Weeks

We've made it to 38 weeks now which is a huge accomplishment! Things are definitely getting more crowded in there, but he still seems to be just as active. My amniotic fluid levels were 15 which is great and the nurses said he was showing off on the monitor for my NST today! I had almost constant uterine irritability, but no contractions on today's test. The irritability is nothing new, so they aren't too concerned and even if I did start having contractions, there's not a lot of difference in his survival this week verses next week. The part that makes me really nervous is that his stomach which was in the middle of his chest almost the entire pregnancy is now positioned in the right chest, behind his heart. I can't see how much lung can develop on that side if both the heart and the stomach are occupying the right chest. Hoping I am wrong in that respect. If anyone has any encouraging words about that from their own CDH journey, please share.

I've been trying to pass the time by doing a lot of reading and listening to relaxing music- I figure the music would be good for Andrew also! One week from tomorrow is our induction day- I can't believe how fast it is all going by! There are so many mixed emotions I have going into this. I wish I could keep him safe forever and do the breathing for him if need be, but I know this is not practical especially since I've outgrown almost all of my maternity clothes and I can't possibly imagine my belly getting any bigger than it already is. I'm definitely getting quite a few stares when we go anywhere in public now :). Part of me is tired of not knowing, that has been the hardest part of all of this, having your whole life in limbo. Part of me wishes there was more they could do to predict the outcome of these babies, but then I couldn't ever imagine going through this having been predicted the worst possible outcomes. For that, I am grateful to just not know at this point.

I'm looking forward to the fall weather- it's my favorite time of year! There's just something about the crispness in the air, the leaves changing color, the fall decorations and everyone preparing to spend time with family and friends over the holidays. God has truly blessed us with so many things- to live in this great country with excellent medical care, our freedom, a roof over our heads and good food to eat and most importantly so many loving family members and friends to share each day. Thanks for all the support and the many prayers we have received. I know I say this often, but I sincerely mean it and do not take you all for granted for one second.

-Becky

9 comments:

  1. I was thinking of you this morning and wondering how you and Gene are handling the waiting time, so I'm glad you posted. We're getting so excited for you. Let us know if you need any last minute help or a cheering section!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So close now. I have done the same thing worried a bit about the scans. I have heard the organs can move around etc. Hopefully there is plenty of right lung there hiding away. As they say you wont know until bubs is born. It can be harrowing the waiting game. Enjoy your last week. Thinking of u.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are keeping you in our prayers. Gage wrote the date on the calendar, so everyone is praying! You are such a source of strength! Andrew is fortunate to have both of you as a mother and father. I know he is in good hands, God's, Becky's, and Gene's. We love you!

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  4. The time is indeed getting so close. It is hard to believe it is almost here. My suitcase is packed, including Grandma's bible, and can't wait to give you and Gene a hug in person and see precious Andrew. I have lots of love and prayers coming with me - it is good there is no limit on the plane because I know there would definitely not be room for all of them. We continue to remember the three of you continually in prayer as you all round another corner in your lives. Know you are not alone. God Bless!
    Much love,
    Mom & Tom

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember those emotions. I wanted to run off somewhere and hide. God will watch over you the Lord is your shield and he will protect you and Andrew and carry you through this journey. Praying for you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying that your guy stays comfy in there until your induction date. I'll be thinking of you and praying that everything goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Becky, it was sooo good to see a post from you today. I think about you and Gene and Andrew everyday and get worried when I don't see a new post! :-) Just know that you are in my prayers DAILY and will continue to be for the long haul!
    Oh, and don't mind the stares...you look BEAUTIFUL! :-)
    Sending {{Hugs}} from DE!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Becky,
    Jaime was a right-sided CDH'er, so I can't tell you how things will be with Andrew, but I can tell you that Jaime's heart was pushed completely into his left lung and his entire liver was up. (His LHR was .71 and he's doing well...from a CDH standpoint...currently he's sick.) Also, the US CAN be wrong, the drs. won't know for sure about anything until they get Andrew into the OR. I hope this gives you some hope!
    I can't imagine what it must feel like knowing you're going to have Andrew next week. Jaime was born prematurely during an emergency c-section...I had about 30 min. to panic about what was to happen!

    Get some rest, best wishes always!

    Sheryl

    ReplyDelete
  9. Becky,
    Your updates are very comforting to us. Such a delight to hear you are playing relaxing music. Babies hear inside you very early on. In holistic healthcare we learned about a pianist mother who repeatedly practiced one particular classical piece during her last trimester. Whenever she'd play that particular music after her baby's birth, her infant immediately became calmly alert, turning his head toward piano and Mom--only when she played that piece. Other music which she played after his birth did not have the same effect. Whatever calming music you play now, will relax Andrew after he is born. It will signify warmth and safety, the rhythm of your heartbeat. Whatever calms you Andrew will feel. He will recognize after birth the same tune(s) if you play just a small repetoire, just as he will recognize and calm to your and Gene's voices. Reading aloud to him, now, poetry or even medical books, will help his neural development, too. Music is so healthy for baby and Mom--your maternal instincts are obviously already developed. So very soon he'll be in your arms! Elizabeth and Larry

    ReplyDelete